Friday, April 08, 2011

garlicky crumb-coated broccoli - French Fridays w/ Dorie

Ok, recovering from last week's mix-up. Hopefully this won't be too confusing because I'm going to try to do both dishes in one.

The broccoli was wonderful. I do love broccoli anyway, so having a fairly new way to cook it is always welcome. How can you go wrong with garlic, lemon, breadcrumbs, and butter? I used whole wheat crumbs, and less butter, but it worked great. The broccoli I cooked in a microwave steamer. Everyone enjoyed it and I'm going to be bringing it to a dinner tomorrow night.

The quinoa, fruit and nut salad was also great. As I mentioned in last week's post, I used dried sour cherries, dried mango, pistachios, almonds, and prunes. The dressing was walnut oil, orange juice, cilantro, and fresh ginger. I couldn't bring myself to try it with the yogurt. I should have, and will make it again so I can see. I should always trust Dorie, so I'm sure it only enhanced the dish. Unfortunately, I was the only one in the family who really liked it and I'm sure it's because I used the Trader Joe's Harvest grain blend. They didn't like that blend the first time I made it so I shouldn't be surprised they didn't like it this time either. So that meant that I ate the whole thing for lunches.

14 comments:

Adriana said...

Yay for broccoli success! I am fortunate not to have a picky eater around, so it was an easy sell. I hope you enjoyed your quinoa salad lunches!

Cher Rockwell said...

Glad everyone liked the broccoli!
The yogurt really does add a nice touch to the quinoa salad - give it a shot!

laurcl said...

Adriana, yes, I really did enjoy the lunches, but the grains did keep popping out of the bowl and onto my desk. I know, not good to eat and work, but it makes the work so much more enjoyable for me! And good to know about the yogurt. I will give it a try next time and I'm also going to use all quinoa and maybe the family will like it better. I think it was a texture issue they were having.

Candy (Dulce) said...

Glad you liked your recipes! Broccoli looked fantastic. And your combination for the salad sounds wonderful.

I have a package of that harvest blend in the pantry. Have yet to try it...

Jen said...

Hi Laurie - I am contacting you about Cupcake Camp. You didn't leave an email address on the baker registration form. Can you email me at jen@beantownbaker.com so I can send you the details about Wednesday?

Anonymous said...

I skipped the yogurt too.
This broccoli was really good and easy to make!

tricia s. said...

I actually did the yogurt and hubby agreed it really helped the dish (not that he was too keen on it regardless). Nana will not be repeating the quinoa :)But we both adored the broccoli and will be making it often. Loved it.

Anonymous said...

We really enjoyed the broccoli, too. I wouldn't complain if I had the quinoa salad all to myself, but the two of us really enjoyed the dish with and without greens and yogurt. It's a great packed lunch dish.

laurcl said...

I do have to try it again, and want to make it with all quinoa. I made the broccoli again for a dinner party this weekend. Wish I took pictures because I arranged it on a big platter and it looked very nice. Tasted great too!

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for this, I loved to read your article. You must be putting a lot of time into your blog!
mobile application design

Anonymous said...

The subject and content were just great. I think that your insight is deep, its just well thought out and really interesting.
mobile website development

Anonymous said...

I appreciate this post. I was looking for this information from long time its a fantastic walkthrough, thanks for sharing.
iphone application design

Anonymous said...

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free..
ipad application design

Anonymous said...

Hey buddy, good morning. Interesting post. You have gained a new fan. Please keep up the good work and I look forward to more of your amazing posts.
mobile website design