Friday, June 10, 2011

cola and jam spareribs - French Fridays w/ Dorie

Wow, the whole family loved these. I happened to have all the spices on hand and got some lovely ribs from the market. Though they weren't baby back, they were very meaty. The only thing I'd do differently is roast them in a smaller pan. The one I used had too much surface area and the glaze evaporated too quickly. This produced some very toasty ribs. The other flavors came through, but to me, the "burnt" taste overshadowed the more subtle citrus flavors.

Other than that, awesome. Husband was also able to take the rest of the soda to work, because we never have that in the house. Got the 2 liter because it was just as cheap as getting a small bottle! Didn't Michael Pollan have a chapter about that in The Omnivore's Dilemma?

The ribs lasted for a few meals, which is a great thing for a hot week. Was smart this time and made these way before the looming Friday deadline!

4 comments:

Kate@Diethood said...

Ooooh I like that you blackened them a bit... they look great!!

Adriana said...

I think I had the same ribs as you! I also baked them in a shallow pan and now wish I had used something smaller. I was lucky and found a can of cola in my beverage area - from the 2008 Olympics! I figured old Coke would do.

Cher Rockwell said...

It's always nice when the whole family is on board!
We usually only keep diet cola (if any at all) in the house, so I still have a partial bottle sitting in the fridge that I am not quite sure what to do with.

laurcl said...

Kate - not sure they were so blackened on purpose, but yes, they did look nice. Thank you.

Funny about the soda. I know Cola is a classic for some BBQ, but I was surprised to see it in Dorie's book. I think of her, and the French, as poo-poo'ing processed foods, but then I see this and their brilliant macaron colors and realize they're not as all natural as I often assume.