Saturday, June 18, 2011

Roasted rhubarb - french fridays w/dorie

I'll post the photos later, but the best part about this one was the taste. I did make a special trip to a place that has local rhubarb because the last time I made it, I got it from the market and it was awful. It could have been the way I fixed it, but I don't think so.

Anyway, tonight's made up for it, but I really used the review as a cooking guide. I didn't want go too sweet and 1/2 cup sugar was more than I needed. I was going to make Dorie's seafood pot au feu, and that called for grated ginger. The honey with rhubarb sounded very good so I mixed some of the ginger with a couple tablespoons of a wonderful grapefruit honey I got in CA in March. I didn't add anything else, but followed the baking instructions.

It was really good and I liked this way of preparing the vegetable? We had it with vanilla ice cream and chocolate cake. My daughter's birthday party is tomorrow (today now), and there were scraps of cake that required eating. The sour, sweet, chocolate (bitter, maybe), and spicy, all tasted wonderful together. It was fun how the flavors would pop out at different times.

Here are the pictures:
You can see how much honey I used - not that much!








Didn't brown like I hoped it would, but the roasting made a very nice syrup.

7 comments:

Cher Rockwell said...

There is definitely a difference between fresh and not-so-fresh. Glad you enjoyed - this was an easy one, no?

Nana said...

How could you go wrong, vanilla ice cream and chocolate cake too, what's not to like. We enjoyed
the rhubarb very much and I'm looking forward to
making it again as soon as I can find some. I
promised Tricia and family some with ice cream
or maybe rice pudding.

tricia s. said...

Lovely results and now I want to get my hands on some of that grapefruit honey - how unusual and yummy sounding. So glad I checked in to see your great write up and also read in the comments that Nana is officially promising to make me some :) Actually she has been trying to find it and after 5 stores and no stalks....I may just end up with rice pudding !

Betsy said...

This one couldn't have been easier. I was thinking ginger would have complimented the rhubarb. Glad to hear that worked!

laurcl said...

Trish, i'll try to find the business card for the honey. He ships all over. Timing for this was great because today was my daughter's birthday party! Needed simple or i'd have had to bail. Sorry it's been hard for some to find. I can't imagine what could be used as a substitute. Having said that, I looked it up and cranberries were mentioned. I can see that for a pie or other type of baked good but this recipe is really a roasted dessert dish. So if it's not available, i'd say, "so be it" and then just use dorie's method for something else, like peaches. I don't think i'd try frozen either, since the texture would be wrong.

Anonymous said...

Lovely variation - I've really enjoyed reading everyone's flavour choices for this week's recipe. Grapefruit honey sounds delicious and perhaps added a hint of the original recipe's citrus flavour. I agree with Nana - you can't go wrong with vanilla ice cream and chocolate cake.

laurcl said...

found the card for the honey. His website is: http://chrystalspurehoney.com from Vista, CA.