Thursday, June 02, 2011

warm weather vegetable pot au feu - French Fridays w/ Dorie

As I was prepping the vegetables for this, I thought, "I'm getting pretty tired of asparagus", "these potatoes are far from round and full of pesticides", "Shara's going to hate all these vegetables", "this arugula is going to make this bitter", and on and on. I guess I was a little nervous making this since I couldn't get the season's best and most tender vegetables and with the vegetables being the star of the dish, though it was going to bomb. Then when the eggs and my finger hit the boiling water at close to my daughter's bedtime, and daughter refused to put out the vitamins (her job) and then decided that she wasn't going to eat dinner at all, I thought, "%$&@ this, let me get a couple of pictures and if anyone wants to eat, they can eat, I don't care."

Husband then talks down daughter and he puts out vitamins while she comes to the table to eat, I realize the eggs aren't hard-boiled and the bowl looks and smells wonderful. Then we start eating and we're all really impressed. Daughter tries everything, including the shiitaki (hates them), leeks, and spinach (really likes). I thought it was great the way the egg yolk made the broth into a rich sauce. I topped it with an arugula/basil mix and grated parmigiana. It was so good, and really looking forward to the leftovers, even though Dorie says it doesn't keep. I think it will be fine, but really needs the egg.



I wonder if anyone poached the eggs in the broth? I thought of trying that - always looking to cut down on the number of pots I use, but didn't want to chance it the first time making this. I'll be posting pictures tomorrow.

14 comments:

Adriana said...

The leftovers will be fine, if not better. The vegetables will be a little bit softer, but that's about it. Glad to read it you were pleasantly surprised!

mygreatmenu said...

I thought about cooking the egg in the broth. I'm sure it would be fine depending on how you want your egg. You could do it like egg drop soup. I did try it with a sunny side egg on top. It was good and easier then poaching an egg.

Cher Rockwell said...

Since it was my "inaugural" poach, I was afraid to do it in the broth. The leftovers kept pretty well - I heated the leftovers up for lunch a couple of days this week & it was fine.
Glad it went over well!

Ei said...

The only problem I could see with poaching the egg in the broth would be the absence of vinegar. I believe the vinegar helps the whites coagulate around the yolk, instead of spreading out in the pan.

Glad everyone enjoyed it!

Patty Price said...

The leftovers are wonderful, glad you enjoyed it:-) I think poaching the eggs in the broth sounds like a good idea.

tricia s. said...

I was chuckling at your description of life while experiencing FFwD- sometimes it does get more than a bit crazy making these deadlines (and bringing the family along). I am always amazed at how the day turns around when folks get a bite of the dish- so happy yours turned out well and was appreciated. Nana enjoyed hers too and will make it often. My family now wants it again as well :)

The Little French Bakery said...

I'm sorry to laugh at your rough start, but all it needed was sound! Glad things turned out well.

marcella said...

Glad things worked out in the end. Sometimes getting these recipes done is really rough!

Candy (Dulce) said...

Good work getting your recipe done! I'm happy everyone liked this. I didn't get that far... Maybe this weekend. We'll see. It sounds delicious!!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Oh no! I love that it all came together, though. :) Looking forward to your photos!

Frankly Entertaining said...

I'm glad I'm not the only who sometimes has mean thoughts about the whole process! Definitely worth it this week, though! Can't wait to see the pictures!

Elaine said...

I didn't have quite the experience you had while making this, but I was so tired that I just wanted to photograph and be done with it so I can totally relate. Glad it ended up being a good dinner for you and your family. We also enjoyed it as leftovers.

laurcl said...

Thanks for all your great comments. The leftovers were very good, even without an egg. Basically a nice vegetable soup. Ei, I was in such a hurry, I didn't even read Dorie's recipe for poaching eggs so hadn't even though about vinegar, but yes, I can see where it would make a prettier presentation. I'm not sure I'd mind this if the whites swirled into the broth, so long as the yolks were soft enough to enrich the soup. I think I'll try adding them to the broth next time and see. I'll report back when/if I do!

Anonymous said...

poaching the egg in the broth is a great idea! I think I will try that next time! I'm going to make this one last time just before the fall veggies appear in the market. :) its great that your daughter loved it!