Friday, August 05, 2011

simple slow-roasted tomatoes - French Fridays w/ Dorie

I've made similar tomatoes before from Vegetables by James Peterson. His recipe called for removing the seeds. This may be simple, but very time consuming. I'm glad Dorie's recipe didn't have that step and I don't feel that it should. One thing his did have was filling each little tomato half with a mix of garlic, herbs and olive oil. I think this may have worked out better for me because they were a little dried out. Closer to the sun-dried tomato than the confit. However, they were like candy and we finished them all. I put garlic cloves in and also halved some small potatoes to roast along with the tomatoes. I put these together in the morning, put them in the oven and set it to start at 3:30 PM so it would be finished for dinner at 6 PM. We sprinkled with rosemary and sel gris and lots of black pepper. I tossed some greens with balsamic and served with fresh mozzarella, bread and homemade pesto. It was a feast!
Mixed tomatoes from Langwater Farm
before roasting

after roasting

lovely Friday evening dinner

6 comments:

Adriana said...

What a pretty platter! Way to spoil yourself with all these flavorful healthy foods on a Friday night. Cheers!

Cher Rockwell said...

Great platter of roasted vegetables. Perfect Friday evening fare.

tricia s. said...

Oh my - a feast indeed !! I love that bottom plate shot and wish I could dig in myself. Smart to throw other veggies on for the long haul of cooking. Next time I would like to get some yellow tomatoes too - they look so lovely. Overall Nana and I both really enjoyed this one and plan to revisit it often.

Anonymous said...

That's a wonderful, summery way to enjoy these tomatoes. I love the variety of tomatoes you used for this project, too.

laurcl said...

Thank you for the nice compliments. And I was wrong - there are some tomatoes left - think I put them on an egg sandwich today, and my daughter didn't like the tomatoes. I thought she ate a bunch, but yesterday she said she didn't like anything about them. She prefers most of her vegetables uncooked - right off the plant. Nothing wrong with that!

Trevor Sis Boom said...

I finally got around to making them and they were perfect tucked into Bison Burgers I made last night. I'm afraid they aren't lasting long as I'm eating the rest like candy.