Saturday, September 17, 2011

cinnamon crunch chicken - french fridays w/ dorie

Rarely do I use heavy cream anymore. Did last night and it was very worth it. I didn't think it would be too difficult to make my own crème fraîche, so I did, but not using Dorie's recipe. Instead I conferred with a couple of cookbooks I have and decided to go with the method that says to heat the cream and buttermilk. I had bought buttermilk but Dorie's recipe called for either buttermilk or plain yogurt and my yogurt was already open and the buttermilk wasn't so I used plain Greek yogurt.

2 cups heavy cream (I couldn't find organic, unfortunately) and 2 Tbsp. plain yogurt. Heat to body temp, move to container, cover and leave on counter in warm place. That's pretty much it.

For the chicken I saw the artificial colors and flavors in the ingredients list for the suggested LU Cinnamon Sugar Spice Biscuits and, though I've never tasted the LU cookies, thought Biscoff cookies would be a good substitute. These are all natural and the main flavoring is cinnamon. I have a feeling the texture wasn't correct. These didn't stay crunchy.

So the recipe is extremely simple. Just mix the cookies with the crème. Saute chicken strips in butter or oil and then mix the crème with the chicken. It smelled amazing and tasted wonderful too. I served with sauteed kale & garlic and a short brown rice that was extremely sticky and when mixed with the sauce, was almost like rice pudding. So basically dinner and dessert all in one!

2 comments:

Cher Rockwell said...

Love the thought of the rice and the sauce from the chicken together.
I am not sure many of us figured out the "crunch" part - but the flavors were good none the less.

Unknown said...

Mine was crunchless too, maybe it was meant to be that way (and title is a misnomer). Forget about making my own cookies, you made your own creme fraiche? Wow! So glad you liked this dish, I did too ;-).