Friday, September 09, 2011

creamy, cheesy, garlicky rice with spinach - french fridays w/ dorie

Talk about straying, but it was great anyway! Honestly I knew this was going to be so far from the printed recipe I almost didn't consider it a french friday dish, but it was so good, I couldn't not share it!

I didn't have time to stop at the market so these are the ingredient alterations:
I didn't use spinach, I used some collard greens and turnip greens.
I left out the cream all together
I didn't have chicken stock so used all water
I only had white rice and brown basmati, so used the white
I didn't have swiss, just cheddar and parmesan, so opted for the cheddar. It was a special Cabot aged cheddar that was only available at their Vermont stores. We got it on vacation and it is wonderful!

The method I also streamlined because I had a meeting last night and had no time for anything really. That being said, what a great, quick dish for a weeknight meal! I cooked the onions and garlic in butter. Then added the greens and sauteed, covered, until wilted.
In another pot I cooked the rice, as normally directed on the package - 1 cup rice / 2 cups water, salt.
When the rice was cooked, I dumped in the greens & onions, then added about 1/3 cup chopped cheddar. It was nice, dry and crumbly. I added some more salt, mixed together and served. Everyone went crazy over it and it was done in about 1/2 hour.





I served it with the burgers I had froze from a couple weeks ago and we steamed up some edamame from our CSA share. The burgers were served on Pepperidge Farms Goldfish sandwich buns! Talk about sophisticated.


6 comments:

Elin said...

Laurie..I used basmati rice too and reduced the cream, cheese and butter. It still turned out nice. I stuffed them into bell peppers and baked them...it was delicious ! I am glad that you too used basmati :)

Cher Rockwell said...

It's good to know this works with different styles of rice.
Sounds like you had an excellent meal with all of your components!

Betsy said...

I'll bet the rice tasted great with the assertive greens to complement the aged cheddar. Nice variation.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Betsy - nice variation! Love that it's such a good jumping off point for what you had on hand.

laurcl said...

I'm not sure there's a way to go wrong!

Anonymous said...

This is a great dish for all sorts of flavors. We love collards and other greens in our house as well and I think they are great paired with an aged American cheese like Vermont cheddar.