Friday, November 18, 2011

braised cardamom-curry lamb - French Fridays w/ Dorie

Another one done on the quick. Yesterday I stopped at the market on my way home to get the lamb. Boneless leg of lamb happened to be on sale so I picked up a 2 lb. package. Next to it were beautiful looking lamb chops, but they were about $3.00 / lb. more expensive, so I passed on them, also figuring the lamb would be nice and tender as it was going to cook for quite a while.

I got home and rushed to get the prep work done as soon as possible. I had about 1/2 hour before we needed to run out to the parent-teacher conference and I didn't want to leave too much for when we got home, since that was going to infringe on my relaxation time. Can't have that! So I got the onions and garlic cooking with the curry and cardamom and wow, what a fantastic aroma. Then on to clean and cut up the potatoes and then apples. Unfortunately I only had Macintosh apples, not the recommended firm/tart kind. More on that later. Basically all but the meat was done, so this really isn't a difficult dish to make. 

Now, after the conference and putting sleepy child to bed, I got going on the meat. I learned a good lesson. The chops may have been $3 more a pound, but I had to discard at least 1/2 lb. of fat from the leg of lamb roast, and it took me a good 1/2 hour to trim it. I put everything in my slow cooker bowl, seasoned it, covered it and put it in the fridge until morning.

Morning - before leaving for work, I put it in the slow cooker and read how to convert a normal recipe. If conventional time is 50 minutes to 3 hours, cooking time on low should be 8 to 16 hours. I set it for 8 hours. The meat was cooked perfectly, as were the potatoes. The apples disappeared and I was able to find a couple pieces of fig, but we were all crunching every so often on the seeds. It also didn't look very appealing. I'm going to be interested to see what other FFWD attempts look like. I'm guessing much better! It did taste good though. The curry I used had a little bite to it, and as I mentioned, the lamb tasted very good and it wasn't at all greasy. All that work did pay off. What I missed were the vegetables. It needed more texture for me. I think, if I make this again, I'd put in carrots and/or sweet potatoes.
I served it with Jasmine rice cooked with carrots and leftover kale.

5 comments:

Cher Rockwell said...

This wasn't the most photogenic, was it?
I like how you adapated the meal to fit your schedule!

Betsy said...

Thanks for sharing how you used the slow cooker for this one. I had to make it the night before because I didn't make it last weekend, and don't have time for all that prep and and 1+ cooking time on a weeknight. I made mine with a diced butternut squash and liked how it came out, so the carrots and sweet potato will work nicely.

laurcl said...

butternut sounds great too - I'm sure we can find many nice adaptations for this - but I wonder if it would be too far from what Dorie's trying to go for, as far as the different cuisines. My thoughts go to prunes and apricots, rather than figs and raisins, but I'm guessing it would all taste good. I love curry!

Steph said...

So organized! I'm really in awe of your juggling this recipe with your schedule. Nice work!

laurcl said...

Steph, if you saw me flying around the kitchen, you'd probably only be in awe that I didn't chop off my fingers!