Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving Goodies


Appetizers

pancetta wrapped dates w/ pomegranate glaze - we stuffed these with pecans and parmagiana reggiana. I couldn't detect the pecans, so wasted calories there, but the parm cheese was wonderfully nutty. I liked it better than bleu cheese. The glaze was simply pomegranate juice with a little balsamic, boiled down until thickened.

spiced squash & pear soup w/ roasted pears & fennel & pumpkin seeds - this was the Dorie recipe from earlier in the month. I sauteed extra pears and fennel and it made the soup much more enjoyable. It needed the extra texture, I thought.

hummus w/ pita - Thea's specialty and as usual, a big hit.

chinese-style cured salmon - this was from Barbara Tropp's classic, China Moon Cookbook. I wasn't sure how this would go over. First, I didn't care for the smell of the peppercorns. Second, most of my family don't eat raw fish, though they do love lox and gravalax. It was really my daughter pushing for this one because she loved Dorie's "salmon in a jar". I was concerned it would be spicy and she wouldn't like it either. So anxious and fretting, I sliced it and platted it, along with orange pickled carrot coins, pickled ginger and pickled daikon, all from China Moon. It was a hit.

Forward to Saturday - I thought it had been too long to eat the leftover fish raw, so I roasted it for about 15 minutes at 425. I served it on top of mesclun tossed with cilantro, jasmine rice, stir-fried kohlrabi w/ China Moon orange chili oil, and the pickled vegetables. It was so good! I wish I took a picture.

Dinner
turkey
mashed potatoes & cider gravy
bread stuffing - my daughter was a huge help, cutting up the 2 1/2 challah from Whole Foods.
brussels sprouts w/ chestnuts & lemon - roasted until browned and tossed with chopped lemon peel, chestnuts, and a bit of lemon juice. They were just alright. I made sprouts the previous week and got them really crispy, as suggested by Kelly at Langwater Farm. These needed a little longer in a hotter oven.
Winter squash stuffed w/ swiss, cream, bread & bacon; dorie's pumpkin stuffed with everything good. Red courie squash was the best. The carnival s squash was a little less seedy and creamy.
Cranberry-glazed sweet potatoes - this was so good I can't wait to make it again.

Desserts
mocha mousse with Sichuan peppercorns
tres leches cake - liz
apple pie w/ginger, lemon whole wheat crust - I've been eating this for breakfast every day and finally finished today. Obviously most of it wasn't eaten, but that's ok, more for me!
pecan pie - jill
Vegan pumpkin pie tarts - recommended by my co-worker friend. I baked these in mini-filo tart shells and topped with a little maple sugar and chopped, toasted pecans. I had to re-crisp them up before serving.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.1

10 comments:

Cher Rockwell said...

Lovely menu - hope you had a wonderful holiday!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Mmmmmm...looks like the perfect Thanksgiving menu!

Anonymous said...

What a great menu! I'm particularly drawn to the pancetta wrapped dates with pomegranate syrup. I'll have to give that a try.

Glad the squash came out well!

mike509 said...

What a spectacular menu. The stuffed pumpkin is especially wonderful. Hope you enjoyed your holiday!

Christy said...

Wonderful menu, great way to spend the Thanksgiving Holiday!

Elin said...

Wonderful thanksgiving menu !

4pure by Andrea said...

Great menu, your guests are very lucky. Happy thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

What an incredible menu!
Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

Betsy said...

Sounds like an amazing meal, but more appetizing than the one we attended. The stuffed pumpkin sure was in good company on that menu. Yum! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

laurcl said...

Thank you all for the nice comments. It was a nice day but I'm learning as I get older. Next year am planning on farming out some of the work so I can spend more time with family, rather than in the kitchen!