Saturday, December 10, 2011

kale-stuffed pork roast - French Fridays w/ Dorie

One other FFWD member commented that this got her daughter to eat her vegetables. I had the same experience. I think if I can put meat into all meals, the vegetables would be easily eaten. This was a terrific dinner to make on a work day. It helped that I got home early today, but even if I didn't, it took no more time than any other dinner and really seemed like a much more elegant meal that could be served at a dinner party.

I didn't have any swiss chard available at my local farm stand, but they had a gorgeous bunch of kale. We decided that super-fresh kale trumped the chard called for in the recipe. So I cooked the filling a bit longer than chard would have taken, but all else remained the same. I wasn't sure if all the filling would fit, but it did!
I really don't like working with meat, but I did and it tasted great. My roast didn't have hardly any fat on it, so I didn't get that nice, crispy top that others had. One thing I needed to do differently was position the thermometer closer to the middle of the roast. I didn't want to hit the stuffing and throw off the reading, but it was in too close to the surface and I had to throw the slices into the microwave for a few seconds. Fortunately it didn't change anything, other than making it a little safer, I assume.
This was a keeper. I served it with a grainy mustard, as suggested, but think it would be good with a brandy sauce too.

5 comments:

Cher Rockwell said...

Glad this one worked out for you!
Finding the sweet spot for the thermometer can be a bit of a challenge, can't it?
Have a great weekend.

Adriana said...

I love that you got a LOT of the filling in your roast. It looks amazing!

Elaine said...

Your roast looks so delicious and a great idea to try it with kale!

laurcl said...

Thanks guys - was wondering how much I could pack in!

Robin said...

A brandy sauce would be delicious and perfect for the holidays. Looks nice!