Thursday, January 05, 2012

bubble-top brioche rolls - French Fridays w/ Dorie

I don't want to fill the post with yum, so I'll try not to say it too often. This was a great recipe; easy, tasted great, and could be prepared in stages without a ton of attention. Still, the long weekend was a perfect time to take on this task. I've also learned to read the recipes far in advance so I'm not rushing around on Thursday, making sure I have the ingredients, let alone the time in-between steps.

Monday, a holiday for all of us here, I started the dough. I used regular Cabot unsalted butter, not a European kind with a higher fat content. I'll have to try it some time with a European butter but I have so much left over from holiday baking I can't justify purchasing more right now.

The whole process was very simple. I made sure I followed the directions and didn't cut corners, as usual. The only thing I changed, and it didn't seem like much of a change, was to use all skim milk rather than 1/2 whole and 1/2 water. I used all the butter and white (!) flour, though there was some white whole wheat in the top of the flour container that got in it. I was hoping it was all the white wheat, but it wasn't. I'm also planning on making more of these to bring to a dinner party this weekend and will use all white flour for that too, but when I make these for just us, I'll experiment a little.

Here are the photos of the process.

yeast, proofing


very shaggy - before the eggs & butter were added

after the eggs, before the butter

finished dough, waiting to rise

portioned out rolls, waiting to rise

after the rise - not very high, but needed to get them in the
oven, so took a chance. Put some cinnamon-sugar on a few.

wow - they rose nicely in the oven!
Perfect!


















































This step I did a little differently. I had to work on Tuesday, so after going in the refrigerator overnight, I shaped the dough into the tins, covered with plastic, and left in the refrigerator for the day. My husband took them out when he got home, to give them the 1-2 hours to rise. We only were able to give them about 40 minutes. I thought I'd be clever and put them on the stove, with the oven on, to speed things up, but read Rosie Birnenbaum's advice to not get them anywhere too warm - all the butter, so took them off pretty quickly. They ended up being fine.

These were a huge hit and we're still eating them. To freshen them up, I put them in the oven for a few minutes and they're almost like the first night. The texture is like Challah, but the taste is much butterier. Fantastic!

I looked on the web to see what others had done and in another cookbook, Dorie has a plum tart with brioche base. I'll have to try something like that next time. Or chocolate rolls, or sticky buns, or....
























17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm very impressed! These look delicious.

laurcl said...

Maybe you can come and try them next time!

Anonymous said...

Your brioche rolls look fantastic!
(And love your bucket list!)

Anonymous said...

I know, I have enough dough for another loaf in my freezer and I can't decide how to use it, Dorie's Baking book has too many options to chose from! Yours look delicious!

Ei said...

Beautiful!

Elin said...

Your dough turned out great since the end results was good. They look delish ! yea , Dorie has many options to chose from.

4pure by Andrea said...

It looks great. Though I wished I was so organised and read the recipe on time.

Kathy said...

Love the idea of the cinnamon sugar. They all look beautiful! Happy Friday!

Marie said...

The cinnamon-sugar variation looks like a good way to get a quick (well, more or less quick) breakfast roll. I also like a cinnamon sugar popover variation for breakfast.

Cher Rockwell said...

I love Cabot butter - I probably have like 3 or 4 boxes in my fridge at all times... Seriously
These look great, glad they were a hit for you.

Unknown said...

Your rolls look great. I think this is a very flexible recipe!

Betsy said...

The cinnamon-sugar sprinkle was a stroke of brilliance. I'll have to remember that next time. It's also good to know that I can shape the rolls and chill them for the next day before the 2nd rise. I'm always trying to figure out ways to fit baking onto a working full-time away from home schedule. Lots of inspiration in your post today. Thanks!

Adriana said...

There are so many possibilities with this little beauties! Now I want to find that plum tart recipe! I froze my leftovers and you are right, they reheat very well.

Susan said...

Very nicely done!

Anonymous said...

I think this recipe is going to inspire a lot of other brioche posts. :-) its great to see how forgiving the recipe has been. I may still make these for a special occasion.

laurcl said...

Thanks for all of your comments. Today I'm going to use Adriana's idea of the mini-bundt pan - http://greatfood360.com/2012/01/06/french-fridays-with-dorie-bubble-top-brioche/

Christy said...

This looks like a great success. I agree = much tastier than Challah!