Thursday, January 19, 2012

quarter-quarts - French Fridays w/ Dorie

This recipe is a basic pound cake, but lighted up by whipping the whites and folding them in at the end. It's a small recipe, so you can make it for a family dessert and not have to wait for a crowd. There is a good sweetness to it, but not overwhelmingly so. I made this last Monday on our day off for Martin Luther King Jr. day and we're still enjoying it. Actually the last piece is slated for me tonight (shh).

I thought a pound cake sounded good, but wanted to jazz it up. I thinly sliced a few apples and sprinkled the with lemon juice. I then made a little bit of caramel - just sugar and more lemon juice. I heated it until it colored and poured it in 1/2 of the bottom of a springform bundt pan.
Caramel in the pan

Topped the caramel with the apples and then tried to gently top the apples with the batter. I only had enough caramel to do the one half of the pan, but it didn't change my baking time. I baked at 350 for 28 minutes.




I read in one of my classic, go-to cookbooks how to make pineapple upside down cake, thinking the concept was similar. It sounded pretty close, so I followed the instructions on how to unmold.

I think the caramel solidified too much and stuck to the bottom along with some of the cake, of course, but I was able to piece it together. The taste was great even if it wasn't as picturesque as I'd have liked. I liked the apple side best, but the plain side had a very lovely and rich taste as well. It may have been because of the vanilla I used. My father sent me a Mexican vanilla which is amazing. It has a sweet and almost coconutty flavor. Not much like vanilla and really stands out almost every time I use it. The other flavor that added to this was the lemon juice. I think it cut down on what may have turned out to be too sweet.

I'd love to serve this cake with berries and whipped cream. It will make a lovely spring dessert. But this time it made an unintended birthday cake for Dr. King. Yes, we did sing.

12 comments:

Cher Rockwell said...

I love the impact that different types of vanilla have on baked items.
The caramel & apple concept was a good idea. I am sure it tasted great!

SoupAddict Karen said...

What a fun experiment!

Adriana said...

Your springform pan with the hole in the middle looks very cool. That Mexican vanilla sounds wonderful. When I can, I ask friends to bring me back Dominican vanilla, it's super thick and tasty.

yummychunklet said...

Love the caramel in the pan idea! Great post!

Ei said...

Mmmmm...caramel and apples. Nice!

Dessert By Candy said...

Good idea with apples and caramel though I agree that consulting a pineapple upside down cake would give you some tips on how to improve upon this concept next time. The cake pan is beautiful!

amanda @ fake ginger said...

Great thinking with the caramel and apples! Yum!

Betsy said...

Happy Birthday MLK! The caramel and apples sound like a great complement to the cake. I think this is a cake that invites experimenting with the adornments. Nice job.

laurcl said...

Before trying this vanilla, I hadn't thought there'd be such differences between the varieties. I'll have to give the Dominican a try.

Thanks for all the comments!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Caramel + apples = heaven! :) Loos delicious!

Unknown said...

It is amazing how much difference there is in the different vanillas from around the world! The apple/caramel was a good idea and kudos for coming up with it!

Unknown said...

It is amazing how much difference there is in the different vanillas from around the world! The apple/caramel was a good idea and kudos for coming up with it!