Friday, February 10, 2012

French Fridays w/Dorie - nutella tartine

Nutella - yum! I love it but it's such a decadent treat I buy it very infrequently. I also noticed that it's not an all natural product, which does put me off. However, I did buy a small jar and assumed, teach me, that I'd be able to find challah. I knew Brioche would be difficult, and I wasn't up for making it homemade, so I was going to settle for challah, not that we don't love challah, mind you.

Last night I stopped by the market near where I had a meeting scheduled. They had a nice bakery, but the only breads were more of the Italian type. Looking in the bread aisle wasn't much more of a variety. I even looked in the frozen section, hoping for inspiration - a frozen challah? Natural white bread? Anything? Nothing! So I ended up getting some multi-grain English muffins and rethought the whole thing and came up with a delicious breakfast. Toasted English muffin w/ apricot fruit spread, swirled with Nutella. Gobbled up happily by my daughter and not quite the nutritionally absent dish of the original.

I had already bought the Nutella but in my bread hunt, I found a different hazelnut spread, Guianduia, that I'd really like to check out. If anyone has any experience with this one, let me know what you thought. It is all natural, but now I'm wondering if it had chocolate or not. David Lebovitz has a nice post about hazelnut spreads..

12 comments:

SoupAddict Karen said...

Ooo, apricot fruit spread - I bet that was lovely with the nutella!

Adriana said...

What I've read is that Nutella is to guianduia as Kleenex is to facial tissues. I also used apricot preserves, which I love with chocolate.

yummychunklet said...

I think I would've liked the apricot spread. I couldn't stomach the bitter orange stuff.

Ei said...

Mmmm love the idea of apricot and nutella together. Sounds like a winning combo, on whatever piece of bread it lands! Never heard of that other spread, so can't weigh in on it.

Unknown said...

Apricot sounds like a good idea and I think english muffins were a good idea too. Never heard of the other stuff.

Cher Rockwell said...

Apricot sounds lovely - and English muffins - yum.

Dessert By Candy said...

It's too bad you had a hard time finding appropriate bread for this recipe. English muffin is a great idea though! All those craggy nooks are perfect to hold more jam and Nutella! It is too bad that Nutella is not an all natural product. It is definitely a treat at my house. I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone using almond butter at this week's LYL!

laurcl said...

almond butter would be interesting too and I'd think it would go perfectly with apricot. Adriana, I looked at the photo I took more closely and the brand of guianduia is Pernigotti. I haven't read much about the spread, but apparently their cocoa is very good.

Hotly Spiced said...

I think chocolate and apricot would go together very nicely.

Christy said...

Apricot is quite lovely - nice addition with the English Muffins!

tricia s. said...

While I lucked out finding bread, I can totally feel your pain about trying to find "Dorie ingredients" for a FFWD. I am usually cooking at the last minute so this becomes an epic nightmare when I can't find something :) But yours turned out lovely. Wish I knew about that other spread- looks intriguing for sure. And thanks for sharing about David L- I will have to check his posts on hazelnut spreads. Thx !

Betsy said...

I think the apricot and almond would have been an awesome pairing, though it sounds like you had a delicious breakfast with what you had. This wasn't my favorite, but given that I'm not a big fan of PB&J, adult or child version, I should have known...