Friday, February 03, 2012

gorgonzola-apple quiche - french fridays w/ Dorie

Part 1 - since I haven't tasted it yet.
Yesterday morning I made the dough and started rolling out the crust this morning. I used white wheat flour and a stick of butter. This was from the Pie & Pastry Bible and she calls for 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar. That's the biggest difference between a basic tart dough. I rolled the dough out to a round, but had to go to the bus stop before I could get it as thin as I would have liked. I had it wrapped in plastic, since that's how I rolled it, and then just popped it into the pie plate, all wrapped, until this evening. If became a dome and I was able to pull off the plastic and press it into the plate.
You can sort of see from the picture that it wasn't big enough and after I baked it, it did shrink up quite a bit. But the smell was wonderful! I didn't put the foil & beans (blind baking) in it before baking, so it did puff up even though it was very cold when it went into the oven.








I'm sure making this as written would be wonderful, but this recipe didn't do much for me so I decided to experiment. I'm not sure if that's the best way to go. If I'm looking forward to a recipe, I want it to taste as delicious as possible so am careful about changing things. I was going to get Gorgonzola, but got cheap and went for the reduced fat bleu cheese. I get it often and really can't taste much of a difference between that and full fat. On the other hand, there's nothing like the wonderful Great Hill Blue Cheese. It's one of my favorites. Now I'm second guessing my decision and wish I'd gotten a good quality Gorgonzola! The other major change I made was to switch the heavy cream for Silk Soy Creamer. Now I have no idea how that's going to turn out. When I mixed it with the beaten eggs, it became sort of gelatinous and it didn't look close to being enough filling. I remember other quiche I've made, using the same size crust, and the recipe called for 4 eggs and 2 cups of cream. I'll be curious to hear what other's experience was with this.

I baked it for 1/2 hour and it looks and smells just fabulous. I took Dorie's suggestion and added a handful of walnuts. I'm not sure how much of this cheese 2 oz. would be. I had a 5 oz. container of crumbles and can't imagine using half of it. 2 oz. of a cheddar is a 2" cube. I think this would be about 1/3 a cup, which seems way too much. Maybe Gorgonzola is a bit more mild.





7 comments:

yummychunklet said...

Your quiche looks delicious. And great tip on placing the dough on the pie plate until you're ready for baking!

Kris' Kitchen said...

Nice quiche! It is good to be reminded that I can make the crust ahead and then add the simple filling later. Sometimes it is too much to do all the steps at once.

Unknown said...

Looks good. I'd be interested to hear how the Silk worked after you taste it.

Cher Rockwell said...

Good adaptations - I am sure the creamer will work out okay (I've cheated in similar ways before).
Hope you emjoy it!

JK Tasty Mayhem said...

The Gorgonzola Dolce is milder, but I used a stronger blue (about 1/3 cup so you were on the money with that) and it turned out well. But then I love a strong blue too!. Looks like yours turned our really well. I to would love to hear how things went with the silk - when I was off of dairy for about three months I used it often in omelets, and coffee.

Christy said...

Nice looking quiche - how did it taste with the soy milk?

laurcl said...

Ok, the soy creamer worked out just fine. The texture was heavy with the cheese, apples, and did I mention I put in walnuts too? The odd thing about the walnuts was that they got tender and rather meaty. Not a bad thing, but not what I expected. I think toasting them first would keep them crunchy.