Friday, February 17, 2012

salmon and chorizo without pasta - french fridays w/ dorie

Mussels are in the recipe from the cookbook but when they didn't have them at the fish truck I go to, I tried to come up with a bon ideal and, since my daughter's favorite fish is salmon, though, salmon should work. The recipe isn't anything too crazy. It's a tomato based fish dish with added chorizo for the main flavoring, other than the seafood. I've actually made similar before with swordfish, olives and orange for flavors. I had ground chorizo in the freezer that I love to add to sauces like this, so threw in some of that and only used 1/2 the red pepper called for in the recipe. I also had some fennel stems & fronds in the freezer and something told me to use that too, so I did. I've been very aware of listening and following my gut instincts when cooking and making other decisions in life. It's really paid off.

This was our Valentines Day Dinner. What I hadn't counted on was that my daughter would be so sick with a cold that she wouldn't be at all interested in the meal and leave to go and find something else to eat. I also didn't count on not even tasting the chorizo or the red pepper. However, the salmon tasted wonderful. It was still a little soft, not at all over-cooked. I served this with the no-knead bread that I've fallen in love with, but cut off the "dark brown (burnt)" crust. I had also bought a very white Italian type bread for said daughter. Good thing too, because that's the only part of the meal she really liked! Poor kid - I don't think she understands that food tastes bad when you have a cold and it's not so much the food as not being able to smell it. Though she adamantly said she can smell everything! A glass of wine was also consumed. Not sure it enhanced the flavor of the meal, but it did help me enjoy my evening a little more.

10 comments:

yummychunklet said...

Great idea to make this with salmon!

Trevor Sis Boom said...

Yes, nice adaptation! I'll have to try this as I am always looking for salmon preps!

Adriana said...

I hope your girl is feeling much better! Fennel, salmon, and chorizo sound wonderful together.

Cher Rockwell said...

Nice adaptation.
Hope your girl feels better - I am just getting over a three week long sickness and I am just starting to taste again. You are right - nothing tastes good when you are sick :-(

Unknown said...

Since I'm not a big fan of mussels I was ok missing this recipe, but swapping out for salmon - Genius!!!! I love it! Great post.

Christy said...

Nice swap - bet this added some great flavor to the salmon. Hope your daughter is feeling better!

Betsy said...

It's exciting to know that this recipe works with fish too. The sauce is lovely, and your addition of fennel sounds just perfect. Another Dorie recipe that just spawns lots of bonne idees. Hope your daughter is feeling better soon. Have a great weekend.

laurcl said...

Thanks everyone. She's on the mend - but it's a fight with the nose blowing. Our trip to Sedona, AZ is on, and I'll let you all know what good foods we encounter there. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

Last night we finished the salmon and chorizo, but this time with the pasta - angel hair. It was really excellent. Definitely going for the pasta next time.

Teresa said...

Love your riff on this dish - sounds like a wonderful combo for salmon. Hope your daughter gets to enjoy this some time when she's feeling better.

Unknown said...

Hope your daughter's cold is better! Great idea to use salmon instead of mussels!