Thursday, March 29, 2012

crab & grapefruit salad - French Fridays w/ Dorie

I had been collecting ingredients for this over the week and today I finally picked up a can of crab meat at the market. The weather in the North East was practically hot last week. Perfect for a summery salad. This week it's been rainy and cold. I had a tough time getting excited for this dish but persevered to the delight of my family.


 The recipe couldn't be simpler, but the extended drying time for the grapefruit sounded a bit tedious. Of course, being me, I skipped that step and can't imagine it made a difference.  I thought it would be easiest to cut up the grapefruit by splitting it in 1/2 and running a knife around the inside, then in-between the segments. That's how my mom taught me to serve it (with a little sugar on top for me of course). I took out the pieces with a spoon and laid them in a paper towel lined strainer. We were supposed to dry these for at least two hours, but I couldn't understand the logic behind that when lemon juice is tossed into the salad. It's not supposed to be wet, but some moisture is nice and after adding a few spoonfuls of grapefruit juice as well, it was still a little dry. The color of the grapefruit was a bit pale, so I added in a blood orange. Next time I'd mix the juices, mint, salt & pepper, and Tabasco separately so it would incorporate better and not mush up the crab. I would also like to try it with avocado. After chopping and segmenting, we ended up with a tasty and refreshing dinner salad.

To go along with the salad I tried another recipe from the book I've been wanting to try. It's called Socca and is apparently pretty popular, as I just found out from doing a quick web search. David Lebovitz had a post with the recipe on his site. That part we didn't like so much. Dorie recommends stirring in chopped, fresh rosemary and David says to use Cumin instead. Since I have a couple cups of chickpea flour left, I'm willing to try this again. I didn't get the blackened blisters that are hallmarks of the crepe and I expect that will change the taste considerably.
Socca broiling

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great tips! I'll be catching up with this recipe in a while and I'll definitely check back here before i do! Merci.

Unknown said...

Your salad looks lovely - I'll have to try blood oranges next time, I love them. I made mine with avocado - delicious!

Anonymous said...

I bet with avocado, that would be tasty too!

Alice @ http://acookingmizer.wordpress.com

Adriana said...

The blood oranges definitely stick out! How pretty. :)
I

Cher Rockwell said...

Lovd the added color from the oranges. It all looks so pretty.
I made this during our crazy warm spell - I can see where it might not be as appealing this week.

Unknown said...

The way you release the grapefruit segments is the same way that my mom taught me as well! So glad you liked the salad :)

Betsy said...

I definitely wish I'd made this last week when it was warm, but I did like this anyway. I love the color from the blood orange you added. Nice! And this is great with the avocado, it really contrasts well with the grapefruit.