Friday, March 09, 2012

saint-germain-des-pres onion biscuits - French Fridays w/ Dorie

What a quick recipe. Last night I got home from work, thinking Alan had to leave for a meeting at 6 pm. Shara had to do a homework project that gave examples of measuring devices. I thought I'd kill three birds with one stone and make the FFWD recipe, show how I use measuring tools in my hobby, and get dinner on the table in less than an hour. Since the meeting didn't actually start until 7:30, I didn't have to rush as much as I thought but still got it done in relatively little time.

I used my 1/2 cup measuring cup to get the correct amount of chopped onions. Showed how I measured out the butter using the markings on the side of the wrapper and started in with the measuring spoons when it was clear that Shara wasn't interested. Oh well, I tried. What I did manage to do successfully was make some mighty tasty biscuits! I'd put in more onion next time and maybe even add some garlic. The rest of it was great though. I only had skim milk and used 1/2 white flour and 1/2 whole wheat. The color was off from the wheat, but the taste was fine. I was actually surprised they rose as much as they did. I thought I may have over-mixed the dough, but apparently not.
Really in a rush - didn't even flour the board


I did use the more efficient cutting method - a knife instead of a biscuit cutter, but cut them in triangles to give some visual appeal. They made the perfect side for our quick scrambled eggs w/ spinach, onions and cheddar dinner.

11 comments:

yummychunklet said...

I used skim milk as well, and I think the biscuits still turned out great.

Kara said...

I used 2% and was fine. Whole milk is only for super special occasions!

Nana said...

Those biscuits look delicious, like small scones.
I put some in the freezer for another time, and after seeing all the little sandwiches I now have a few good
ideas for them. This was a lovely recipe and very easy.

Ei said...

Your biscuits look good. I'm fascinated by your bacon olive oil, though. Sounds good to me!

Christy said...

I was just plain out of milk and used heavy cream instead. Still tasted great and the quickness of this recipe makes this a winner!

pamkaren said...

Pretty triangles! Another new biscuit shape!

Cher Rockwell said...

I like the thought of adding whole wheat flour and some garlic. MMMM

Betsy said...

Hi Laurie! We had eggs for dinner too. The biscuits went perfectly. I like your story about your measuring devices. I think those were great examples. I can't wait to try new savory combos with this one. Great idea about the garlic.

Anonymous said...

The triangles look great!

laurcl said...

Thanks everyone. Looking at other renditions, I'm very tempted to fry up some ham next time! Ei, not sure about the bacon olive oil, but I do keep some rendered bacon fat in my fridge. I did add some of that to the eggs. Should have sauteed the onions in it for the biscuits!

Trevor Sis Boom said...

these were great but I think I would have loved these more with wheat flour blended in. Esp for sandwiches. Good job.