Thursday, April 05, 2012

asparagus & bits of bacon - French Fridays w/ Dorie


I'm hoping not to eat too much asparagus because I don't want to get sick of it as I normally do this time of year, but boy, this is a great way to eat it. Alan, who really doesn't care for asparagus unless it's roasted to a crisp thought this didn't even taste like asparagus. I used white asparagus since it was on sale and looked very pretty. I needed to peel them because the skin was very tough. However it peeled very easily with a vegetable peeler. I then cut them in pieces about an inch or so and steamed them in my Pampered Chef microwave steamer. While they were steaming I sauteed some chopped onion in a little bacon fat. I had cooked bacon earlier in the week to use in a broccoli salad and then on pizza. Really gearing up for Passover with all of it! Which is what I was thinking as I sauteed the onion and added in the crumbled bacon - at least I didn't make it right on Passover. I had some lemon cut open already from the broccoli salad and added the juice right to the onions along with a bit of walnut oil. There were so many seeds in the lemon, that made it into the pan, fishing them out was the part of this recipe that took the longest time. It was really a quick dish to throw together and the flavors all worked perfectly. Maybe next time I'll add some toasted walnuts. Another keeper!

Keeping with thinking of Passover, I found Smitten Kitchen's Raspberry Coconut Macaroons last weekend and knew i had to make them. I loved that she doesn't like really sugary macaroons and mixing in the raspberry is genius. I didn't get raspberries but blackberries instead. I used unsweetened coconut, about 3 cups, and maybe 1 1/2 cups of regular flake coconut. I stuck with her recommendation for 2/3 cup sugar and then mixed in the 1/2 pint blackberries, almond extract, and 3 egg whites. I played around with the size of the cookie and think the larger ones give more texture variation. The little ones look so cute though! My mother didn't want me to bring any to her house for the holiday because she is already planning on several desserts, but I have to share these with the family. I'll also be bringing a bunch to church for Easter Sunday. No one signed up to bring goodies, so we're all going to chip in.
sort of icky looking, but berries were very juicy
Forgot to mention the ice cream concoction Shara and I thought up together. After hearing about Ben & Jerry's Banana Peanut Butter Greek Yogurt flavor, I thought we could do the same at home. I suggested taking vanilla frozen yogurt and mashing in bananas and swirling in peanut butter. Shara did one better and suggested Nutella. Yeah, Baby! We'll make that again. And maybe play around with other mix-ins too.
toasty, crispy, berry goodness!

16 comments:

tricia s. said...

Love the idea of the walnuts. Now you have me thinking about trying pine nuts too. Just a basic recipe but I would not have thought to combine the bacon and onion with this were it not for FFWD. Glad you enjoyed it like we did- it was a hit in Nana's house too !

laurcl said...

Pine nuts sound great too. I know, Dorie has so many wonderful, everyday recipes that I probably would never make with out FFWD, even though I had the cookbook first.

Bubbe said...

My goodness, these macaroons look sooooo good. Well, may I change my mind? I'd love to try one.

Elin said...

Great idea to add walnuts to it. I would not have thought of adding bacons and onions to the asparagus...I would just add pepper and salt to it ...This turned out fantastically good. Yummy ! I paired them with pan seared salmon !

Cakelaw said...

The white asparagus adds a great artistic twist to this simple dish.

Rose said...

Oooh, those macaroons look delicious! Just perfect for the season. I am looking forward to the coconut friands and might even make them this weekend while I ahve time.

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness, it looks like you have been busy in that kitchen of yours! :) Everything looks delicious!

Alice @ http://acookingmizer.wordpress.com

Cher Rockwell said...

I love that steamer from PC.
This was good enough to eat straight of the pan. And, walnuts, yum!
Have a great weekend.

sanya said...

I never thought of adding walnuts, I bet it tasted great! Love the white asparagus.
And I have to say those macaroons look great!

Unknown said...

I've been wanting to try those macaroons - looks so good!

Dessert By Candy said...

White asparagus is always a treat. Love your suggestion of adding toasted walnuts! Roast until cripsy and not taste like asparagus at all? Oh no...I can't even begin to imagine!

Betsy said...

I do love asparagus but have never seen or tasted the white variety. Sounds very intriguing! I love the idea of adding walnuts, especially with the walnut oil. Here's another new Passover sweet to try. For last night, I made these almond baby cakes from Dorie's website. They were really nice!

http://doriegreenspan.com/2012/03/im-chugging-away-on-a.html

Have a great weekend.

Kathleen said...

The white asparagus is a great contrast for the bacon. The macaroons look yummy, too. Never had them with fruit mixed in, how interesting!

laurcl said...

Thanks everyone - Betsy, those almond baby cakes sound wonderful and I just happen to have all the ingredients - hmmm. The macaroons were a hit everywhere they went and it's embarrassing how easy they were. Highly recommend trying them out. Just beware that they didn't stay crunchy for me - would want to do a quick reheat and cool because they were so good when they were crunchy too.

Erin said...

The white asparagus looks great! It is so funny, I saw that recipe for those rasberry macaroons too, I was thinking about using strawberries!

Christy said...

Nice - I was thinking about using the white asparagus also. Raspberry Macaroons sound terrific!