Thursday, April 12, 2012

sardine rillettes - French Fridays w/Dorie

I really couldn't imagine what this would taste like, similar to other FFWD members. I happen to be a big fan of the canned sardine, so I wasn't scared, but how to make a meal out of this was my challenge. I had one can of sardines and decided to make 1/2 the recipe, since it was just the three of us and I couldn't imagine we'd want to eat this by the spoonful. Shara, it turns out, would have been happy to! Alan, who doesn't love sardines, still liked it but not nearly as much as we did. We took Dorie's suggestion and had it on Triscuits but Wheat Thins were also good. The Triscuits actually were best - their flavor didn't interfere with the rillettes and the Wheat Thins were a little too sweet in comparison.

For the rest of the meal, we had picky, party type food. I put out a little bowl of cornicions and olives and had a pile of Mesclun on each plate with some cucumber spears. After much research I let my nose be the final judge and used the leftover, decorated Easter eggs to make deviled eggs. We decorated the eggs using various natural dyes - onion skins, turmeric, purple cabbage, so I wasn't worried about anything bad seeping through. I did get rid of the eggs I let soak overnight, so I wasn't completely crazy. They were in a fairly cool place on Easter as well. It turned out to be a very good meal, though I was oniony most of the night and I only used scallions! I also used some dried dill. The flavor of the dill didn't stand out, but I can't be sure it would have made a difference leaving it out, so I'd do the same next time. And there will be a next time. This is perfect cocktail party food.

our natural-dyed Easter eggs
 eggs boiling in purple cabbage and grape hyacinth 

eggs boiling in turmeric and annato seed


light cream cheese, dill and smoked paprika

sardine rillettes

7 comments:

Christy said...

Nice to hear it was a success and you have an adventerous family! I like your natural colored Easter Eggs!

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Glad you and your family liked the sardine rillettes! Sounds like you prepared a nice meal around this dish.

Adriana said...

What a delicious little spread! Those Easter eggs look delicious. Did the flavor of the spices/veggies seep too much into them?

Cher Rockwell said...

It is fun to read posts where this was a success. And I like how you dyed your eggs :-)

Betsy said...

What pretty eggs! Glad that this was popular at your house. I really enjoyed it myself.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that I decided to use dill and I think I would leave out the scallions and onions next time :)

Alice @ http://acookingmizer.wordpress.com

Mary Hirsch said...

Oh I loved your natually-dyed Easter Eggs. Beautiful. Why did we ever turn to processed dyes. Congratulations on going with the Sardine Rillettes. Glad you liked the spread - isn't almost anything great when you put it on a Triscuit or Wheat Thin? I love both those guys. Mary