Friday, May 04, 2012

almond flounder meuniere - French Fridays w/ Dorie

I actually made this last Monday because I'm at a conference and knew I wouldn't get to post it on time. What I didn't realize was I wouldn't be able to get it posted even with making it early! So better late than never!

This was wonderful and we each (even my almost eight year old) had a huge fillet of Tilapia encrusted with the lovely ground almond crust, sauteed in lots (it seemed to me) butter. I had made a hollandaise earlier in the week and thought it would be interesting to use that as the "glue" for the crumbs, rather than the egg yolk. I think this worked fine, but didn't try it so have nothing to compare it with. The fish was rather thick and we needed to put it back in the pan to cook more thoroughly - covered worked well. I think the fish was so thick it didn't lend itself well to sauteing. The flavor was so good though and was even better with some sliced almonds sauteed in the pan with the leftover butter. I don't know if anyone else had this happen, but when I squeezed on some lemon juice, it made a great sizzle. It was quite exciting. I may excite easily though!

happy fillets, slathered with hollandaise

sizzling away!


5 comments:

Diane Balch said...

The hollandaise must have been interesting. I used flounder and it is really thin and cooked super fast. Faster than Dorie said it would, glad I was watching it closely.

Anonymous said...

Wow! looks great! Dont you love it when things just work out?

Elin said...

Your fish looks great and I agree with Diane that flounder cooks faster than Dorie said it would. Love the crunchy nutty crust and the tender juicy inside.

Betsy said...

A sizzling lemon squeeze does sound exciting. It's great to know this works with thicker fish as well. Nice when everyone loves it, isn't it? I loved the nutty coating and look forward to making this again. I did use flounder because they had it AND it was on sale.

Unknown said...

Nothing wrong with getting excited over a squeeze, even a lemon squeeze! Your fish looks good.