Friday, June 01, 2012

lentil, lemon and tuna salad - French Fridays w/ Dorie

As I read the ingredients I wondered where I could find preserved lemons and seemed to remember seeing them at Ocean State Job Lot. They have a very good selection of pickled items, olives and vinegars. The reason I remembered seeing the lemons was because we saw olives stuffed with lemons, not actually preserved lemons. However, after looking in the couple of places I had to go during the day and not finding lemons, I went to Job Lot and ended up getting the olives because it was the closest thing they had. Pulling out the bits of lemon wasn't as time consuming as I thought it would be, but it turned out that the olives had such a great lemon taste, making a tapenade with those would have been amazing. The whole family enjoyed munching on them.

The rest of the salad was very easy. I cooked the lentils a little too long, but I was the only one who seemed to notice. I made the lentils with water, garlic, a clove, salt, and a bay leaf. It worked fine because the garlic really came through. I also cheated with Giada's tapenade from Target. Obviously this was super easy to make and had me wondering where this recipe had been hiding. I may end up making this every couple of weeks or so. We had it over lettuce with some other veggies from Langwater. Shara took the leftovers for lunch at school and I ate her leftovers for an even later lunch!


No comments: