Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Weekly CSA Share

1 Sugar Pie Pumpkin - Pumpkin stuffed with everything good - Dare I? Thinking of trying it in the crock pot.
1 head of broccoli - roasted w/ garlic
3 Green Peppers - fried w/ onions & eggs
1.5 lb Sweet Potatoes - Twice-Baked Sweet Potato Cups with Sour Cream, Chipotle, and Lime
1 bunch Red Russian Kale - sauteed w/ garlic & pasta
1 bunch Spinach - braised w/ garlic, chopped acorn squash, ground chourico, and vegetable broth
Also purchased:
3 large beets, 3 onions, lots of apples

I got the beets to try and recreate what we ate at the Empty Bowls Project from Muza's. It was much thicker because I cooked it for the day in the slow cooker with the potatoes and kidney beans. I put a couple of sliced carrots, the chopped beets, a couple chopped cloves of garlic, a chopped onion, and the chopped potatoes and beans in the slow cooker along with (I embarrassingly admin) a couple of cups of frozen, sliced red cabbage from last year! I only had about a cup of vegetable broth left, but put in water until it came about 1/2 way up. I vetted the idea, as I usually do, by finding something similar that's already been tested. My model was this Beet Root Soup with Kidney Beans.
After it cooked for the day, I added sour salt, table salt and white sugar. We sprinkled some dill in our bowls and Alan and I added hot pepper flakes too. Next time I'll use vinegar and a different kind of sugar. Maybe brown sugar to give it a little more depth. It was a little flat, and the beets lost most of their color. However, I'm looking forward to having it for lunch tomorrow!

No comments: