Saturday, June 29, 2013

Tastes of Summer


Last week we went to a church friend's to get some pointers from an experienced jam maker. It was a great time and we all got a chance to chop, clean, fill, etc. We came home with a bunch of strawberry and strawberry rhubarb.

Later in the week I bought some rhubarb and blueberries at the produce stand. I picked a few scrawny stalks from the garden and added it to the rest, with a bit of ginger and then put in a jar of the strawberry jam instead of sugar. I boiled it until the rhubarb broke down then let it cool overnight. The next day we mixed it with some plain, fat-free Greek-style yogurt and some vanilla, then froze it in the ice cream maker. I thought it was very good but Shara thought it had a little too much ginger in it. She may be right, but it won't stop me from eating probably the whole container. Without any fat, it does need to soften in the microwave to be scoopable, but that's no real issue.

Look at the color!


No comments: