Sunday, August 11, 2013

My Sushi Special - made w/ brown rice, from Asia Sushi Grill - a usual fallback when I can't figure out what to have. It was good but the fish was a little dry. Next time I'll take the time to figure out better what to order. But it's good because it also comes with miso soup and salad.
Shara's sushi dinner - caterpiller roll, unagi roll and salmon roll. Her new favorite is eel. There were only three pieces or the unagi roll and 1/2 order of miso soup leftover.
I'd been in the mood for blueberry pancakes since we went picking a few weeks ago and today I made a batch for Alan and myself. Shara didn't want them. She doesn't like cooked fruit. They were very good.
Here's my usual recipe:
1 cup flour (I use 1/2 whole wheat, 1/2 white)
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
dash salt
1 egg
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup almond milk
1/3 cup water
1 tsp. Mexican vanilla
1 cup blueberries

Dessert this evening was another item off our end of summer bucket list - s'mores. Shara wanted to blow up some peeps (the idea came from our neighbor) and that was a terrific idea because we only had one whole marshmallow and a few that were chopped up from some baking experiment. I actually think they were rolled into hearts from Valentines day. So these weren't the freshest either. The peeps are great because the sugar caramelizes in the fire and the bitter flavor dissipates too. They are fragile, so melting the chocolate with your flaming marshmallow doesn't work with peeps. They don't flame much and are quick to start falling off the stick. Not worth sacrificing it to the fire.


This was interesting - Shara whittled a whole in hers to get it in the fire to melt a bit. It actually worked!



No comments: