Sunday, April 06, 2014

Catch-up - 2 months overdue!

Lots of pictures to show I haven't been hiding in a cave.
spaghetti squash w/ ricotta filling, roasted eggplant slices & sauce - baked it's just as satisfying as traditional eggplant parm. 

Got a sourdough lesson from the Bridgewater Baker and kept our take home sample going for a couple of weeks! Made great pizza dough.

Our fantastic New Year's Eve sushi platter from Hayashi

More spaghetti squash with local kielbasa, spinach & sauce

my attempt at Irish Soda Bread

Farro, kale turnip salad - delicio

Cauliflower pizza crust - popular on the Web but not so much for me in real life. It didn't crisp enough even though I did it on a silpat. Maybe smaller would work better - 3" rounds topped with sauce & cheese, then baked.

Big project - 100 oatmeal cookies for Mainspring House. Our church makes monthly lunches & this was my family's contribution for February. We're going to do it again but bake & freeze, rather than all at once. Would also help if I hadn't messed up and thought 1 cup butter is a lb. Yes, there were several very rich cookies before I realized what I did and was able to adjust.

Stuffed bread for New Years Day - artichokes & roasted peppers

My daughter's salad, found in a kid's cookbook and enjoyed by all.

Yummy Mid-eastern special from Maguires

My daughter found a recipe online for frog cupcakes and jumped right in. They came out very well for her first try. We're not a family who would think of using a cake mix!



Butterfly Cookies - royal icing creates the dam

Very wet icing works like paint to create the design

Cocktail party goodies - pomegranate flavored cream cheese stuffed apricots w/ crushed pistachios 

Veggie Basket



Cocktail Party Menu:
  • Grilled Cheese & Avocado Sandwiches
  • Pumpkin Puree Flatbread w/ sage, fennel seeds & parm shavings, balamic drizzle
  • Sauteed Chicken & Waffles w/ Rosemary Bacon Maple Syrup
  • Stuffed Mushrooms
  • Smoked Salmon on Cucumber w/ Dilled Yogurt
  • Apricot Canapes - cream cheese, pomegranate molasses, chopped pistachios
  • Cheese Tray w/ Seedy Crackers w/ Lemon Basil Jelly & Apricot Rosemary Jelly
  • White Bean Dip
  • Eggplant Dip - Baba Ghanoush
  • Crudités - cucumber, tomatoes, carrots, celery, snap peas, asparagus
  • chocolate dipped (butterflies) & plain strawberries
  • Fudgy Meringue Cookies
  • Butterfly sugar cookies

Backyard egg taste test - my sister's on the left, our neighbor's on the right. I love the flavor of my sister's, but the rest of the family voted for the neighbors. I can only think it's because the neighbor's are very traditional tasting and with my sister's, egg flavor is sometimes overshadowed by the thick texture and richness.

sisters to the left, neighbors to the right.

asparagus roasted w/ garlic, anchovies & oil


No comments: