Tuesday, April 12, 2011

vanilla eclairs - French Fridays w/ Dorie

I actually had egg yolks left over from buttercream I made this past weekend. These tasted great, but my pastry got soggy. I don't think I cooked it long enough. When I was a kid, I used to make these often and I remember cooking them for much longer and at a lower temp, but the taste of these was so much better. I could really smell and taste the egg. 
formed choux, waiting to be baked

Hot out of the oven they looked perfect!

It was so hard to choose what to fill them with. Vanilla was the assignment, but Dorie had several variations in Around My French Table. After consulting the family, we all agreed to have the coffee flavored pastry cream and top the eclairs with chocolate. Another surprise was how thick the cream came out.

Coffee pastry cream
It worked out well and tasted very good though. I guess if I had really measured everything it may have come out a little different. I had 4 yolks leftover and almost no milk left. So I was trying to do the math in my head to make about 3/4 of the original recipe and somehow the amount of sugar reduced in my brain to 1/2. I fixed it, but am curious if it was supposed to be thinner and creamier. I didn't really have my heart in these because of getting ready for cupcake camp. Too much of a rush and we're going away next week so I didn't want to wait to make these last minute. Hey, they were well appreciated and quite a treat for a weeknight dessert!

Coffee Eclairs w/ Blackberries


13 comments:

Bubbe said...

You have a lucky family to be able to enjoy your beautiful and tasty week-night desserts. Your photos are great. I'm not biased, just your Mom.

Unknown said...

You must be a good mathematician because baking is so hard without exact measurements...yet your eclairs turned out perfectly! Is there something you know that we don't? ;-)

Mary said...

Coffee eclairs sound like a great variation...yum.

Anonymous said...

I bet these were good with the coffee filling! I love how Dorie always has variations for most of her recipes :)

Christina said...

We loved the coffee pastry cream too! Nice pictures and I love how puffed your pastry looks. Good job!

Cher Rockwell said...

Cupcake cake - that sounds interesting!
Love the mound of berries on top of the eclairs.

amanda @ fake ginger said...

Mmm, they look fantastic!

Kathy said...

Coffee pastry cream sounds great!! Very nice photos!

laurcl said...

Thanks everyone. I still have some of the coffee pastry cream leftover. Wondering how it would taste for breakfast, stuffed inside french toast.

Elaine said...

Your eclairs are so pretty! The coffee pastry cream looks and sounds delicious. My pastry cream was also really thick, but so delicious. Have fun at cupcake camp!

laurcl said...

Ah, already went to cupcake camp and it was so much fun! I'm writing up my review now. Very interesting experience.

Adriana said...

Yay for coffee pastry creme! I need to try that one next. Glad to hear that the eclairs were well-received!

briarrose said...

Beautiful job on these. I love the coffee filling.