Wednesday, October 12, 2011

olive-olive cornish hens - French Fridays w/ Dorie

We were out of town last week, but on Monday I caught up and made the hens. The prep was easy enough, though not something truly enjoyed, since I'm not a fan of playing with poultry of any kind. I also made the homemade tapenade, but, as Dorie suggested, used 1/2 of the oven-dried tomatoes from this summer, along with the olives. It gave the hens a very nice, fruity/salty taste. The cooking method is excellent. Dorie is right, these were done in about 1/2 an hour and I let them rest about 15 minutes and they were juicy and perfectly cooked. I probably will not make Cornish hens again, but will use this recipe with normal chicken breasts. We had them with potatoes mashed w/ cauliflower, olive oil and parmesan cheese, roasted vegetables, and leftover red cabbage from my MILs.

Last night I broiled the tapenade on Italian bread.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

how was the tapenade on the bread after? I think I will spatchcock hens or chicken again, but not use the same tapenade... but I do think the sundried tomatoes seem like a good idea and balance to the briney olives I used. Glad you liked yours!

laurcl said...

You know, the tapenade was just ok on the bread. I liked it on the chicken, but I don't think it stood well on its own.

Anonymous said...

I think it was worth the experience - I've never spatchcocked before. But, I also think I'll usually use this recipe with chicken pieces in future. Save the hens for a special occasion.