Friday, October 28, 2011

Pumpkin stuffed w/ everything in the refrigerator - French Fridays w/ Dorie


From last Thanksgiving

This was the first recipe I made from the book. In fact, this recipe was the reason I bought the book, after hearing an interview with dorie on npr. I took license with this recipe since I've made it 2x before. For last year's Thanksgiving, I made in two Kabocha squashes with leftover baguette from Iggy's, 1/2 and 1/2, scallions, Gruyere, very good bacon, onions, and pretty much according to the recipe. It's like a quiche Lorraine in a pumpkin.

This time I thought I'd experiment and put in 2 stalks of kale (obviously just the leaf part), leftover onions, olives & anchovies from last week's pissiladaire, stale, wheat baguette from Iggy's, bacon, Parmesan, and chicken broth. Had it been cooked an extra hour, it would have been great. But I did it for the 2 hours recommended and it wasn't near enough. I think because the kale needed a lot more time to cook, but my pumpkin wasn't nice and creamy yet either. It was a sugar pumpkin, but very yellow inside. The flavor was good, but again, about an hour more cooking and it would have been where it should be. I'll finish off the baking tonight and update with the results.

What I didn't mention is that I was almost in tears because I was really hungry, tired and wanted a good dinner. Had also not picked up ice cream for myself because I was being strong and knew a nice meal would be waiting for me. Once I had a little food in me, and a little wine, my spirits picked up and I realized it wasn't the most horrible thing I've eaten and was actually ok, just not how yummy I know it can be.
Stuffing - how's this all going to fit?
But it did!
Not wrinkly enough and too soupy - not done yet.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

10 comments:

Elin said...

This dish is so versatile and I love it ! Yours looks yummy! Well done.

Adriana said...

Oh I feel for you, Laurie. My pumpkin was also undercooked after two hours and we were too hungry to wait for it. The kale addition sounds fantastic and sort of healthifies the otherwise decadent dish.

Ei said...

Aw, I"m sorry it didn't work out. At least you know that it CAN be great! I applaud your efforts to throw some kale in there. As I ate it, I kept thinking I'd feel a lot less guilty about all the cream if there was a green vegetable involved. :-)

Anonymous said...

we were starving too when we got to making this and pulled the pumpkin out just at the two hour mark, and our two pound pumpkin needed a bit more time but our stomachs and spirits couldnt take waiting any longer!

Christy said...

It's a delicious and versatile dish - your's looks really good! And the kale addition looks scrumptious! Happy French Friday!

Cher Rockwell said...

I made the fatal flaw of starting this too late in the day. I think we had an 8 PM dinner that night. And I would definitely feel like crying if I forgot the ice cream :-)

Elaine said...

I really can't believe that I waited this long to make this recipe as it was one of the ones I have wanted to make since the beginning of FFwD. I also used kale in mine, but I sauteed it first and I think that helped because it cooked through in the amount of time the pumpkin did. Your kale gives the pumpkin such a pretty color.

laurcl said...

I will try to make it with the kale again, maybe try sauteing it first, and probably most of the other flavors. I certainly would add another hour to the baking time though. I love vegetable containers and you can't beat the cleanup!

tricia s. said...

It is always an adventure with these recipes. I hate to admit but more often than not- I don't even try to incorporate this into a meal but end up cooking it at night, like a homework assignment. Just how it all flies at our house. Your photos look great and I love your comment about it being quiche lorraine in a pumpkin. Nana and I will be revisiting this recipe for sure-

tricia s. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.