Friday, December 30, 2011

cauliflower-bacon gratin - French Fridays w/ Dorie

This week's dish was very simple to make and the first time I had to make a vegetable dish for French Friday's with produce from the market. I did splurge and get an organic cauliflower and it didn't cost that much more than the conventionally grown one.I won't be able to tell if it made a difference or not, but I thought this dish was very good. My mother told me about this recipe a while ago. She made it twice and loved it so much, she ended up eating to much and hasn't trusted herself to make it again.

Well, I ate real ice cream today so couldn't go the full-fat route. The market only had 2% milk the other day so I had that available as well as 1/2 & 1/2. I decided to use a full head of cauliflower but cut down the egg mixture by two-thirds. I used 3 eggs, and poured 2/3 of a cup of 1/2 & 1/2, thought about it some more (looked at the calories) and poured it back in the carton and got out the milk. I ended up using 1 cup of 2% milk and 1/4 cup flour. I added probably more bacon than 1/4 lb. and 1/4 lb. cheese (sorry, low-fat again).



I'd say we all enjoyed it. I told my daughter she wouldn't even taste the cauliflower, just the cheese and bacon. She said, "yuck, I can taste it." I asked what she could taste and she said, "broccoli". She thought the cauliflower tasted just like broccoli. She did, however, eat all of what I gave her and I don't think it was just because she wanted the pop-rocks for dessert.
Post a Comment