Friday, December 30, 2011

cauliflower-bacon gratin - French Fridays w/ Dorie

This week's dish was very simple to make and the first time I had to make a vegetable dish for French Friday's with produce from the market. I did splurge and get an organic cauliflower and it didn't cost that much more than the conventionally grown one.I won't be able to tell if it made a difference or not, but I thought this dish was very good. My mother told me about this recipe a while ago. She made it twice and loved it so much, she ended up eating to much and hasn't trusted herself to make it again.

Well, I ate real ice cream today so couldn't go the full-fat route. The market only had 2% milk the other day so I had that available as well as 1/2 & 1/2. I decided to use a full head of cauliflower but cut down the egg mixture by two-thirds. I used 3 eggs, and poured 2/3 of a cup of 1/2 & 1/2, thought about it some more (looked at the calories) and poured it back in the carton and got out the milk. I ended up using 1 cup of 2% milk and 1/4 cup flour. I added probably more bacon than 1/4 lb. and 1/4 lb. cheese (sorry, low-fat again).



I'd say we all enjoyed it. I told my daughter she wouldn't even taste the cauliflower, just the cheese and bacon. She said, "yuck, I can taste it." I asked what she could taste and she said, "broccoli". She thought the cauliflower tasted just like broccoli. She did, however, eat all of what I gave her and I don't think it was just because she wanted the pop-rocks for dessert.

10 comments:

tricia s. said...

Good for you for being healthy - we have been eating treats all week while away on vacation. Don't even get me started on that creme brulee that Nana and I have now mastered :) This one was a keeper for sure. We had tried it before this FF and enjoyed it many times since. Happy New Year from Nana and I !

Elin said...

You had a much healthier version :) Like your lighter version of it and I should try yours the next time I make this :) Happy New Year to you and family. I look forward to cooking along with you in 2012 :)

Candy said...

I wondered how this would work with lower fat ingredients. Good to know that it still turned out great!

Unknown said...

We all need a little less fat this time of year! Glad to know it was still good. Happy New Year!

Cher Rockwell said...

Those pop rocks will do the trick every time :-)

Happy New Year!

Trevor Sis Boom said...

This really is one of those dishes were a little ingredient change now and there would go unnoticed. I'm supposed to make this for New Years day brunch but I'll be cutting down on milk fat just a bit I think. I don't think I'll hear complaints!

Anonymous said...

Your gratin looks delicious, and great to know you can substitute some of those decadent ingredients. Thanks!!

Happy New Year!

Christy said...

We were completely indulgent at our house, it was a great dish and I bet it was great with the lowfat milk! Happy New Year!

laurcl said...

I think if I made it to begin with using the full fat options, I'd have a hard time going to a low fat version. If any of you do a lower fat one, let me know if you notice a huge difference and if using the cream is worth it or not. I'm not sure I'd be as satisfied eating a smaller, but richer, amount.

4pure by Andrea said...

Happy new year. I also loved to eat all biological or local, but not everything is available around here (or at a abnormal high price). So I'm going to grow it myself. I think it tastes so much better.