Saturday, December 17, 2011

Potato chip tortilla- french fridays w/dorie

Talk about low expectations. Another discounted recipe due to my ignorance and small mindedness. That's rather harsh. More of a lack of imagination and something to do with my not eating potato chips. Anyhow, I was very excited to have such a simple dinner to make and especially during a busy time of year. Thank you to those ffwd participants who voted for this one because it certainly wasn't me.

I had some Terra chips in the house. The original mix with "A seasonal mix of root vegetables (sweet potato, parsnip, batata, taro, yuca)". So I crushed them up in the bag really good. Sorry but I don't like to get my fingers greasy! Then I decided to go with my gut and saute the chopped onion and add it to some cubed, frozen basil and frozen garlic cube. I seasoned the eggs well with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and ancho chili.

I read again about the size of the pan and at first didn't believe it would all fit in my small omelette pan, but didn't want to have it be too thin, so tried it. It worked great and wow, I think it was the onions. It was really sweet, salty from the chips and my forgetting about that added salt source, and surprise, potatoey. All of this together tasted so good and as Alan said, "this tastes bad for you". What a nice compliment!





6 comments:

Betsy said...

I do love Terra chips. I'll bet these were great in the tortilla. I used scallions and the taste was mild. I'll bet the onions made a difference. Your tortilla looks so colorful!

Christy said...

The Terra chips would have been really interesting with this. I love all the color in the tortilla - so festive!

Cher Rockwell said...

Love the idea of the Terra chips (they are just SOOOO addictive) & make for great coloring. I am sure it was very pretty on the plate!

4pure by Andrea said...

Nice addition on your last photos to flip parts to the other side. Looks great. Don't know hat terra chips are though?

laurcl said...

I'm sorry. Terra chips are vegetable chips. They use potato but also other root vegetables. The colors are great and the fiber is often higher than most others. I feel they turn chips into more than empty calories.
Their site is:
http://www.terrachips.com/

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Your last photo is marvelous!!! Love the idea of terra chips :)