Sunday, March 06, 2011

Savory Cheese & Chive Bread - French Fridays with Dorie

Late again for this installment of the French Fridays with Dorie entry. Last weeks dish was a quick bread that allowed for some changes while working within the basic recipe. It's really quick, unless you need to stop at the market for the cheese, as I did. But that lead me to include fresh pears, rather than the dried ones as suggested, because I couldn't find dried pears at the market. It also lead to Shara having an egg & bacon sandwich for dinner and Alan making the bacon & sandwich while I worked on the rest of the ingredients. So it was a group effort, the best kind.

Since we also went to Chinatown yesterday and I happened to get flowering chive, which was perfect for this bread. The other additions were the cheese, I found a nice cheddar/bleu cheese that I thought would work well with the bacon and fresh pear.

It looked like a lot of mix-ins and not much batter, but it worked out fine in the end.

As with most breads I bake, I find I need to go longer than the recommended cook time in the recipe. This took about 10 minutes extra. The finished product was great. I had to give some of it away because Shara wasn't a fan, except for the bacon, and Alan thought the pear tasted odd. Maybe I should have used the dried pear instead?

5 comments:

Jill said...

It looks very good!

Unknown said...

You did it and that's what counts. I haven't heard about any prizes for being first. Good idea to try fresh pears. I was wondering about fresh apple...maybe some sage. But I'm not sure about cheese. Gouda maybe?

Anonymous said...

I think your combo sounds good. And it's very pretty.

Cher Rockwell said...

It looks lovely & it's always great when you can get the extra help!

laurcl said...

Thank you all for your comments. I actually didn't realize people were reading this, so I haven't been very good about responding! I think the problem with the fresh pears was they didn't have excellent flavor. If I do this again, I'll get more and pick the one with the best, or maybe saute it to bring out the sweetness.