Thursday, September 01, 2011

French Fridays w/ Dorie - corn soup


As I read the recipe for this soup I wondered if Dorie was the person who made these flavor combinations so popular or if they've always been so popular. I've been making corn chowder with bacon for several years, often adding potatoes. I sometimes put in chicken or clams. I've never tried scallops (raw or cooked!).

I had shucked corn in the freezer from earlier this summer and thought this would be a great use. I also read the recipe a few times, but apparently skimmed it because I never noticed her saying to use the cobs to flavor the milk. Oh well, as you can see by the first picture, I got very clever, not wanting to create more dishes to wash, and put the milk in the bag of semi-frozen corn and then proceeded to microwave it up to temperature. She wanted boiling and then steep the cobs. I was lucky not to have a microwave full of corn scented milk, so I quit while I was ahead and settled for warm.

I actually sauteed the onion in the butter and watched it so it wouldn't color. I tend to brown because I'm off doing other tasks. But this time the onions were still white and then I added the other vegetables, though I didn't have celery. I made up for the celery by having a couple of small, and even one teenie, carrots from the garden. I can't believe the carrots grew and aren't bitter! I don't have to gush over nice brown and crispy bacon because we all know it's a most amazing addition to several of Dorie's recipes. In fact, until FFWD, I never cooked so much bacon. Now I'm quick to add it to a salad and was happy to have leftovers, for a salad. Was going to move ahead and to the deconstructed BLT, but then read the ingredients and have to wait. Anyway...

The scallops really took this from being a standard, but good, corn soup to a special meal, which, as most good meals do, required a glass of wine. I have a very good seafood truck that is on my way home from work and I think the woman's husband catches the fish in the morning. It's always super-fresh so I had no problem serving these raw. They certainly were like buttah!

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Confessions of a Culinary Diva said...

Definitely adding the scallops next time! Looks delicious!

Elin said...

Yea..this is delicious looking...adding seafood to it will further enhance the taste. I shall add some scallops the next time I cook this again :)

Cher Rockwell said...

Adding a protein is such a great idea on this soup. I don't know how I missed it.
Great save on the microwave :-)

Betsy said...

Yum! The fresh scallops sounds like a great addition. I did garnish with bacon, but wasn't able to pick up seafood for this one.

Adriana said...

I love seared scallops so much - the way the tops caramelize reminds me of bacon so I see why this would be a great pairing.

laurcl said...

Thanks everyone. I found the soup to be a good starter/base that could go in many directions. Adriana, seared scallops sound wonderful or shrimp or even calamari. Trader Joe's has a nice frozen seafood mix, but that wouldn't get seared. Hmmm, sounds like I may make this again!

Anonymous said...

we loved the addtion of scallops as well and now that we live closer to the ocean, I love making anything that suggests adding seafood. Looks like yours tunred out well, even without the cobs, etc.

Anonymous said...

It's amazing what we do to make up for not reading a recipe thoroughly! Good save with the milk and cobs.