Friday, September 30, 2011

deconstructed BLT and eggs - French Fridays w/Dorie

Bacon makes everything better. This seems to be the motto at our house and with good reason. We were lucky to have beautiful lettuce this week from the CSA and still had grape tomatoes from our garden. Arugula is available, but we prefer the milder lettuce. Maybe a combo of the two, but I only got the lettuce and opted for spinach over arugula this week. How much can we eat?! About a month ago, I slow-roasted/sun-dried a bunch of cherry tomatoes and used those for the first time with this salad. I chopped the tomatoes and fresh basil to add to the dressing. This was a nice, light dinner and also loved that it was quick to make. Alan opted out of the mayonnaise (and it wasn't homemade), but I put the dabs on the eggs and I thought it added a nice, rich flavor to the whole salad. Another recipe that will be made often and I wouldn't bother looking at the actual recipe. It's really just the idea that is needed.
croutons fried in bacon fat 

13 comments:

Frankly Entertaining said...

I loved this dish, but I don't know that my husband would have been impressed! It was more of lunch effort here!

Anonymous said...

yes, the idea is a great jumping off point! :) I really liked the vinaigrette and I think I would like to keep it on hand indefinantly!

Ei said...

My husband specifically told me to make this for lunch instead of dinner, b/c he wasn't interested. Oh well. I'm not a huge fan of salad, but this one was pretty good.

Anonymous said...

This is definitely another recipe that lends itself to improvisation. I like that about Dorie's recipes. They leave a lot of room for interpretation and variation.

Pamela said...

Everything is better with bacon!

SoupAddict said...

I really enjoyed this salad - I think it was the vinaigrette!

Betsy said...

One of the things I like so much about the recipes in this book is that for so many of them, once you make it once, you've got a great idea to work with over and over. I agree that this is definitely one of them.

laurcl said...

It's true. This is a basic cookbook, when you think about it. But the ideas are far from basic. She puts so much flavor in everything. I find myself using more herbs than I ever did before.

Cher Rockwell said...

This was another great "non-recipe" recipe - the ideas Dorie brings forward are usually "why didn't I think of that?" And they work.
In our house, it was actually The Dude who requested that this salad make a repeat appearance.

Trevor Sis Boom said...

So many of the FFwD recipes are 'ideas' aren't they. At first I was annoyed by that but I'm actually loving it and learning a lot.

Anonymous said...

I think these ingredients will be great with any type of lettuce. Seeing what everyone has used in thier versions is wonderful and this butter lettuce is one of my favorites.

Jora said...

That CSA butter lettuce looks great. I'm amazed that you're still getting it in September. The heat killed most of our lettuce this year.

laurcl said...

This is the farm's 2nd planting. We're getting lettuce, spinach, arugula and even a few strawberries last week. Most of the other veggies are fall though - winter squashes, greens, etc. But yes, the lettuce is so good, and we can't get enough spinach (which is also great with bacon!).