Friday, July 15, 2011

Cold melon soup w/ berries - French Fridays w/ Dorie

This was the fastest recipe of Dorie's I've had so far. I made it in about 15 minutes, before taking my daughter to camp this morning. I bought the melon the other day. The directions said "dead ripe" and it was that. I wish I could remember the name of the melon, but it was pretty much a cantaloupe.

I already had ginger and thought I had a lime, but luckily I had an unopened bottle of some brand of organic lime juice handy. I didn't see the need to keep the melon balls and puree separate for chilling, so put it all together.

I also was in too much of a rush so didn't read carefully enough and mixed the ginger and lime with the melon before chilling, rather than just before serving. I'm very curious if that made a big difference or not.

So for serving, I chopped up some very sweet strawberries and skipped the wine, since my daughter was going to have this and I didn't want to worry about keeping them separate. The other change I made, and it was a biggie, was to add some fresh basil. I know strawberries and basil are common flavors to have together, as are melon, prosciutto and basil, so I didn't think it would be that far of a stretch. It was a very heavy flavor though, so for the leftovers I'll try less or none. Probably none.

The big response from the family was that soup has such a strong connotation to be hot, that this shouldn't be called soup. The other thing we found was that none of us could eat / drink very much of it, certainly not at one time. Sipping seemed to be the most enjoyable. I probably won't make this again, at least not as is, but it was so beautiful, I want to try something similar. Very curious to hear what others thought of this. I can't figure out why it didn't go over better with all of us. I must have needed a better melon, less ginger? obviously no basil, and maybe even the lime wasn't enough.

3 comments:

Cher Rockwell said...

It looks pretty!

On my first shot, I pureed basil in with a papaya - the basil definitely was way too heavy. This one does seem to beg to be played around with.

Unknown said...

This was a hard one for most of us to love. Its an interesting recipe, though and I'll probably try it again.

laurcl said...

Tonight I mixed some of the leftover soup with chardonnay. I used about a1 to 1 ratio and didn't add any melon balls, berries, or herbs. It was very good. This is how I like ginger most, with a bit of tang. Maybe I didn't use enough lime juice with the soup?