Saturday, July 23, 2011

mixed berry terrine - French Fridays w/ Dorie

It seems as though I got the weeks mixed up, but it worked very well with the hot weather we've been having here in the Northeast. I picked fresh blueberries on Monday, had time and a peach, so I decided to go rogue and break from the recipe in the book (how unlike me). The results were great. Don't be fooled by the sophisticated title, this is homemade jello, but it tastes so much better!

I had some passion fruit juice in my cupboard and lots of gelatin leftover from serving Knox Blox at a birthday party a couple of years ago. The first try at the recipe failed - I was doing my usual mental math - just halving the recipe, but was talking and used a package of gelatin and a whole cup of water when it should have been only a half cup. So that got washed down the drain and I started again with much better success. The juice gets mixed with the desolved gelatin and refrigerated until it is slightly thickened. I chilled it for the recommended time but my was pretty close to completely set, so I put it on the stove for a few to "melt" down. It was fine and I was able to add in the fruit, put it all in my new Pyrex loaf pan and it solidified in time for dessert.










I was able to get it to unmold after putting hot water on the outside of the pan and running a knife around the edges. I didn't want to take a chance with the blueberries, so I used a serrated knife. It worked quite well.

11 comments:

Betsy said...

Hi Laurie, Yes, we are neighbors. I'm in Lexington. How are you bearing up with the heat wave? I hear it will be cooler on Sunday...
I'm glad you mixed up the weeks because that mixed berry terrine seems perfect for this week's weather. Also, I was on the fence about making it, and your post convinced me I will love it. We're supposed to go raspberry picking tomorrow morning, so I'll have fresh berries to use.
Stay cool!

laurcl said...

Have a nice time tommorrow, Betsy. It is supposed to be wonderful out. Surprising to me, but I'm not handling the heat well! Mentally it doesn't bother me. I'm in air conditioning most of the time and don't mind the heat when I go out, but my body isn't reacting the same. Just keep on drinking that water!

Adriana said...

It looks fantastic, Laurie! Now I'm especially excited for next week.

laurcl said...

Thanks Betsy. And now that I can connect to ffwd again, I'll be able to share the link. I was getting worried. Looks like they were down for the weekend.

Ei said...

Yum--passion fruit juice sounds like a delicious variation. My husband better get used to gelatin, because I intend to make a ton of variations on this in the future. Mwa ha haaa!

Steph said...

Looks great and I love the changes you made. I had the same issue (twice) with the gelatin setting too much. Oh well, I think our fridges must be more efficient than Dorie's french fridge.

Cher Rockwell said...

Yes - it certainly has been wacky up here in the NE. If I could fit in my refrigerator, I just might consider taking up residence there until the heat decides to mellow out...
Glad it worked out for you!

Anonymous said...

Passionfruit juice sounds like a fantastic idea! I'll have to give it a try next time. Yours turned out beautifully.

Unknown said...

Mmm...what great subs with the peaches and passionfruit! Your terrine looks fab and must've tasted wonderful too :-).

laurcl said...

Thanks for all the comments. I'm glad several of your families liked this too. You'd think it would appeal to most kids. We all know theres always room for jello. Well seemed to be the only one who ate it, which is often the case. So I took it for breakfast a few times and it made a great alternative to my usual oatmeal.

Unknown said...

Passion fruit juice sounds like a good idea. I used grapefruit juice and want to try other juices.