Saturday, February 02, 2013

More pizza

BBQ chicken pizza with onions. Super yummy and I live the Jim Lehey quick pizza dough recipe. This photo is prior to baking. Afterwards it looked like all my other pizzas. Let's just say there were only two pieces left over.
 
While the pizza was cooking I made the base for a chocolate ice cream. I've been experimenting with making my own since it must be healthier than Edy's. Don't get me wrong, I love Edy's light but I think I love it way more than I should. I have two additions that need to be controlled - cool whip (boo) and going through about a container of Edy's a week.

A few days ago I made this chocolate banana ice cream. It tasted good but the texture was too icy and it was hard. Today I found this chocolate one that I adapted for what I had in the house. Here's my version:
3 cups coconut/almond milk
1/4 cup dark chocolate morsels
1/4 cup Karo corn syrup
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp. confectioners sugar - already had this mixed with the cocoa powder
2 tbsp. corn starch
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla

This made a pudding that I ended up thinning out with some more milk, bringing the total to about 3 cups. I let it cool while we ate dinner and then froze it in my Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker. I've had it for at least twenty years but if I didn't have one, I'd get this one:
  The ice cream was good but it had a pronounced coconut taste that I thought was mint for some reason. Alan said it tasted like coconut so I guess that's what I was smelling/tasting but it may have been a combination of flavors. Either way it does taste good and I figured out it has 4 weight watches points per 3/4 cup serving.

No comments: