Tuesday, March 07, 2023

Oahu 2023 - Day 3

I got up this morning, after another good night's sleep, and realized something was off with me. I'd been assuming since I got here that I was tired/dehydrated from the flight, tired/dehydrated from the hike/walking, but tired and feeling like I have a cold isn't the same. I tested positive for covid. I stopped and got a test on my way to the beach. Tried to find a discrete place to take the test and doubt I was invisible as I wished. Actually had to sit on a wall in front of the Valentino store. Oops. The line came up immediately and I looked at the instructions, because maybe I was remembering wrong about line/no line, but unfortunately no. I remembered correctly. I never had it and am humbled because I thought I never would. I can't figure out if I have a fever or not. I've had chills the past couple of days when I've been in the apartment, but I'm often cold and it's not that hot. The beach today was nice and warm.

I can't even think about all the people I've been around on this trip. I'm bummed that I can't do everything I planned but at least much is outdoors and I will be able to do those things. I'm still masking when I'm outside with people and trying to stay away from everyone inside. 

So the fun stuff - 

I brought my own snorkel and goggles. I didn't use the snorkel because I couldn't get it the goggles clipped on it and didn't want to ask anyone for help. That wasn't a problem though. It took me a while to get in the water - it is about 75 degrees, so not bath water and I'm a big wimp. Once I got in, I was actually surprised to taste the salt. I was so concerned about the temperature that I totally didn't think about it. I swam around a bit. I wanted to be careful and not touch the rocks and coral and I saw a yellow fish, a blue fish, and I think a sea urchin in the coral. I also saw a really beautiful Po¯haku puna (Lobe coral).

So far, that's it for today - came back here and wrote this up and chatted with a couple people and think I'm ready to take a little nap. 

No comments: