Thursday, March 09, 2023

Oahu 2023 - Day 6

 Since I believed my official time of isolation was over, I took a bus to Pearl Harbor. There weren't any tours available, but I learned a lot going through the 2 parts of the museum and hearing, seeing, reading about what went on that Sunday morning. It was gruesome and the whole harbor was filled with ships of various sizes. I had no idea there were so many vessels there. The scale was not something I had known. The other side of the museum described the world and what led up to the war and the attack. That was very interesting and it also shared how the Japanese American civilians and servicemen were treated and how it affected their honor, which was incredibly important to them. I can see why people recommend going and I'm glad I did. I didn't make it to the Arizona memorial, which I'm told is very moving.

I caught the bus back and both ways I got to see downtown Honolulu, including the Iolani Palace and a bit of the Bishop Museum. I would like to go to at least the palace, if I go back. I got off the bus a little past my hotel so I could get some garlic shrimp, which the north shore is famous for, and I didn't want to miss. I went to Sam's Kitchen and got the shrimp w/ spicy garlic sauce and made it "da plate" to get a scoop of macaroni/potato salad, white rice, and a salad. It was all very good. The shrimp were cooked perfectly and were pretty big. The mac salad had plenty of salt and I liked the potato part better than the mac and don't have the desire to start mixing the two together and keep with w separate salads. It was also good they didn't give huge scoops and really. It was a good few bites and let me enjoy the shrimp with some contrasting tastes. I brought it back to the apartment and ate it on the deck and watched the sunset on the ocean.



















Small Tent City in Downtown Honolulu


No comments: